From 31 October 2022 – 02 November 2022, Chairman of EurAsia Forum Irene ZHU attended the UN The sixth session of the Expert Mechanism on the Right to Development in Palais de Nations in Geneva.
At this session, the Expert Mechanism will consider the following:
- Opening of the session.
- Adoption of the agenda and programme of work.
- General debate.
- Coordination meeting with other United Nations mechanisms on the right to development.
- Implementation of the mandate and programme of work:
- Commentary on article 1 (1) of the Declaration on the Right to Development;
- Interactive dialogue with members of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples to exchange good practices;
- Engagement with civil society in support of the right to development;
- Discussion on least developed countries and the right to development.
- Consideration of thematic studies:
- Study on the theme “Inequalities and the right to development”.
- Conclusions of the session.
The meeting of the Expert Mechanism will be divided into public and private segments (please refer to the programme of work). Participation is possible in the public meetings where simultaneous interpretation will be made available.
Delegates and other stakeholders wishing to participate, either in person or remotely, should register in Indico following this link. The registration will remain open until 10:00 CET, Monday, 31 October 2022. A link to join through the hybrid modality will be sent ahead of the session to those who indicate preference for online participation.
States, United Nations mechanisms, bodies and specialized agencies, funds and programmes, intergovernmental organizations, regional organizations and mechanisms in the field of human rights, national human rights institutions and other relevant national bodies, academics and experts on development issues, and non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council are allowed to ask for the floor and intervene, in that order.
States, NGOs and other stakeholders are kindly requested to coordinate among themselves so that only one person will take the floor per delegation.
- Provisional agenda
- Draft programme of work
- Concept note for the Interactive dialogue with members of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples to exchange good practicesWith the participation of EMRIP members:
- Mr. Binota Dhamai (Chair)
- Ms Sheryl Lightfoot (Vice Chair)
- Ms. Laila Susanne Vars
- Ms. Valmaine Toki
- Ms. Anexa Alfred
- Concept note for the meeting on Engagement with civil society in support of the right to developmentWith the participation of:
- Ms. Micòl Savia, International Association of Democratic Lawyers (statement)
- Ms. Eva Wuchold, Rosa-Luxemburg Stiftung – Geneva
- Mr. Murad Akincilar, Europe – Third World Centre, CETIM (statement)
- Ms. Ana María Suárez-Franco, Food First Information and Action Network, FIAN
- Ms. Maira Olivo Paz, FUNDAR (statement)
- Concept note for the Discussion on least developed countries and the right to developmentWith the participation of:
- H.E. Ms. Hend Abdalrahman Al-Muftah, Permanent Representative of Qatar to the UN Office at Geneva (statement)
- Ms Shanchita Haque, Deputy Permanent Representative and Chargé d’affaires a.i.of Bangladesh to the UN Office in Geneva (statement)
- Mr. Uttam Kumar Shahi, Counsellor, Permanent Mission of Nepal to the UN Office in Geneva (statement)
- Mr. Diego Valadares Vasconcelos Neto, Human Rights Officer, Right to Development Section, OHCHR
- Ms. Ramla Khamis, Head of Chancery, Tanzania Mission in Geneva (statement)
- Commentary on article 1 (1) of the Declaration on the Right to Development (A/HRC/EMRTD/6/CRP.1)
- Study on the theme “Inequalities and the right to development” (A/HRC/EMRTD/6/CRP.2)
- Opening statement by Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights, Ms. Nada Al-Nashif
- Opening remarks by the Chair of the Expert Mechanism on the Right to Development, Mr. Mihir Kanade
- The Sixth Session of the EMRTD Concluding remarks by the Chaid, Mihir Kanade
- TFirst meeting, 11h – 13h, 31 Oct 2022 (Opening / Adoption PoW /General Debate)
- Second meeting, 15h – 17h, 31 Oct 2022 (Coordination Meeting with other RTD Mechanisms / Commentary on article 1 (1) of the RTD Declaration)
- Third meeting, 11h – 13h, 1 Nov 2022 (Interactive dialogue with EMRIP)
- Fourth meeting, 15h – 17h, 1 Nov 2022 (Engagement with Civil Society)
- Fifth meeting, 11h – 13h, 2 Nov 2022 (Discussion on Least Developed Countries)
- Sixth meeting, 15h – 17h, 2 Nov 2022 (Commentary on article 1 (1) of the RTD Declaration cont’n / Study on “Inequality and social protection systems in operationalizing the right to development / Conclusion of the session)